Friday, May 02, 2008

d.i.y.: decoupage chair

A decoupage chair is always a fun DIY project, especially to make as a gift for children. I made this teal chair with shell images for a friends son who lives in Hawaii. First I shopped at a local unpainted furniture type store and bought a small chair, but they had small step stools, bookshelves and toy boxes which could have also been likely candidates too.

1. I then stained the chair the teal color with an eco alcohol based teal stain.
2. Then I cut out the images with an exacto knife--I used a vintage book about seashells. I also lightly colored penciled over the images in a light green so that the black and white images would better match the stain.
3. With a foam brush you can apply a craft glue to the back of the cutout images. --I used Sobo, but Weldbond or Mod Podge will work also.
4. Place the image on to the chair, smoothing out any wrinkles or bubbles that form under the paper.
5. Add a layer of glue on top of the image.
6. Repeat with all images until your desired look/pattern is complete.
7. Let the chair dry overnight and the next day apply 5 coats of finish over the entire chair.

The other images in this post are patchwork decoupage chair by Ohdeedoh and the comic book chair is by Bombus.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Maryjo said...

I just came across your site via a link from TreeHugger.com. Amazing stuff! I just wanted to say that I love chair #2 in this post...very cool!

5:52 AM  
Blogger Drea said...

I'd love to do this with some Archie comics. :)

2:56 AM  
Blogger judith said...

Love the decoupage chairs!

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home